The East Hollywood Neighborhood Council Arts & Culture Committee is proud to announce the East Hollywood Neighborhood Council Utility Box Mural Program. In partnership with Council District 13, we are excited to offer this opportunity to support local creatives to decorate utility boxes while enhancing our streets and public spaces.
- Please closely read the Policy for Decorative Displays on Signal Cabinets Guidelines from LADOT.
- Select a utility box located within East Hollywood Neighborhood Council boundaries. Map of Utility Box Locations in East Hollywood available here.
- Sketch your design on the traffic box template.
- Each mural design must include identifying text at the base of the utility box reading:
- City of Los Angeles www.lacity.org & East Hollywood Neighborhood Council @easthollywoodnc
- Additional sides of the utility box base may contact artist(s)’s name and handle
- Include your name, email, phone number, and your affiliation with East Hollywood.
- Please include the desired location for your utility box mural from this Google map.
- Please indicate if you are applying for the $250 micro grant and thus agree to additional requirements OR are applying to paint the box without EHNC funding.
**Please note** if you would like to be considered for the $250 microgrant, and should your design proposal be accepted, you will be asked to provide the following:
- A W-9
- An itemized invoice made out to East Hollywood Neighborhood Council for $250
- You may be approached for additional information as part of EHNC submitting Department of Transportation DOT Authorization and Department of Cultural Affairs DCA Authorization in advance of release of your payment by the LA City Office of Finance. Payment may take up to 90 days to issue. EHNC board members will work as hard as possible to advocate for timely processing of your invoice. Your patience and understanding are appreciated.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & SELECTION CRITERIA
- For this first round, EHNC has approval to fund five (5) boxes at $250 each. We will consider approving one box per artist per round of the program.
- Designs should be community appropriate. Please submit designs that are generally positive in nature, uplifting, or non-offensive. Refer to the LADOT policy above for further details.
We are especially interested in proposals that are inspired by the unique culture and history of East Hollywood.
- Submissions will remain open until plans have been selected and accepted for all five boxes. All design submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the EHNC Arts & Culture Committee, which meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 7pm.
- Murals must be completed using paint (acrylic, artfully applied spray paint, etc). Designs using posters, stickers, or other methods of painting will be less likely to receive approval.
- Please note:
- Utility boxes are a public space owned by the City and thus final designs approved by EHNC or Council District 13 may not be approved by DOT.
- If the desired box location has already been designated for another artist, EHNC Arts & Culture Committee may suggest an alternate box location.
- If your mural is graffitied, our office will reach out to you to give you an opportunity to repair the box. If you are not able to or willing to, the box will have to be painted over and new art may be applied.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
Arts & Culture Committee Co-Chair
Vice President, East Hollywood Neighborhood Council